I’ve often said that there’s a connection between food and any other subject out there. On occasion, I’ll get a taker who challenges me with subjects they think are unrelated, but so far, there’s always been a connection. Here are a few examples; and if you don’t buy it after that, throw a couple of topics out there. Bet you there’s a link.
- Concession stands at all levels of competition, from pee wee to the pros
- Nutritionists working with some pros to help them achieve weight and maintain physical fitness
- Sports stars (among other highly paid individuals) hiring private chefs to cook for them.
- Beets, tea, and coffee as fabric dyes
- The costume of a chef: double-breasted jacket and toque
- Food companies using t-shirts as advertising spaces
- Planting by the lunar calendar
- Feeding the astronauts in a weightless environment
- Whether dinosaurs were carnivores or herbivores impacts how their fossilized remains are interpreted. Within the past several years, many dinosaur postures have been re-interpreted to reflect this understanding, producing, for example, a much fiercer-looking Tyranosaurus Rex that uses its tail for balance in an obviously predatory stance than used to be imagined, standing erect and seemingly lumbering and slow.
- Different regions are able to grow different crops. You’re not going to find, for instance, grapes, chocolate, and citrus all growing in the same region.
- Is responsible for creating the many trucks that ship foods across climate zones so you can find products from around the world in your local store.
- C’mon, use your imagination!
- Metaphorically, the different notes that compose a dish work like chords or notes. Some are pleasing when combined; others clash dischordantly.
- The music played by an eating establishment can do wonders to establish its tone and attract/ repel various clientele (grandma and grandpa are not likely to be found in the punk rock bar; whereas Johnny Rotten would likely steer quite clear of the Sunday morning smooth jazz brunch).
- Legitimate food shipments can be used to provide cover for contraband shipped across international borders.
- Of tropical hardwoods threatens the future of certain nuts (eg Brazil Nuts) and spices (eg nutmeg, mace).
- Certain food trees are also logged for their woods (walnut, maple, cherry, etc.)
…Anything else? Name it–I bet you there’s a connection.